End the summer and get ready for autumn enjoying this tasty soup!
2 – 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large sweet Vidalia onion, chopped
2 – 4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
8 – 10 cups chopped yellow summer squash
6 tablespoons uncooked white rice
8 cups vegetable stock
1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
2 – 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
sea salt to taste
1. Heat a 6 to 8-quart pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, then the onion and saute for 5 to 10 minutes or until onion softens and is beginning to change color.
2. Add garlic and cumin and saute a minute more.
3. Then add chopped summer squash, white rice, and stock.
4. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until squash is tender and rice is cooked.
5. Remove from heat and puree in your blender or Vita-Mix in batches.
6. Toss in the whole bunch of cilantro and puree.
7. Pour soup into another clean pot or bowl, stir batches together, and taste. If it needs a flavor boost add lemon juice and sea salt to taste.