Today we are having a light, fresh, and pretty spring soup. This spring-green colored soup is Vegan, Gluten-Free, Fat-Free, and Low Sodium. For those of you watching your weight and your cardiovascular health, it is a perfect accompaniment to a spring meal.
6 1/2 cups of low sodium vegetable broth
1 large leek, white and light green parts only (you can save the dark green parts for making stock later)
2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces
1 bunch of asparagus (about 1 pound), trimmed, and cut into 1″ pieces
2 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets
2 TBSP chopped fresh chives
1. Heat 1/2 cup of your vegetable broth over medium-high heat. Once hot, add leek, and reduce heat to medium. Cook leek until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir frequently so it doesn’t stick or burn (if the liquid is burning off, turn heat down further).
2. Add remaining broth and potatoes, and bring to a boil.
3. Stir in asparagus and broccoli and bring to a boil again.
4. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently until vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes.
5. Remove pot from heat and allow it to cool slightly.
6. Puree in blender, Vitamix, or use immersion blender, taking care not to burn yourself on the hot soup.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh chives.