Pears and delicata squash tossed with brown sugar, chili powder and bacon is a delectable combination. To make this vegetarian, omit and bacon and toss the squash and pears with the brown sugar and chili powder during the last 5 minutes of roasting.
1 pound delicata squash (about 1 large)
2 medium ripe but firm pears, sliced
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 slices of bacon -optional (substitute: dash of liquid smoke)
2 tablespoons water (vegetarian use lime juice)
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 teaspoon chili power
Garnish: fresh cilantro and roasted pumpkin or squash seeds
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Toss in a large bowl with pears, oil, salt and pepper. Spread on a large baking sheet.
3. Roast the squash and pears until just tender, stirring once or twice, 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
5. Discard all but 2 teaspoons fat from the pan. Over medium heat, stir in water, brown sugar and chili powder. Add the squash and pears; toss to coat. Crumble the bacon on top.